7.11.2010

Butterfly Chandelier Mobile

*Please note, that the pink chandelier kit is no longer available and because of that, the butterflies are now solid cut. White butterflies kits are available for purchase in my Etsy shop.   If you don't see a listing for it, please convo me and I'll set you one up. Custom orders are welcomed! Want a different color and/or size? Feel free to convo me or email me at megitys@gmail.com.


***********************************************

Supplies
  • butterflies ( please note that only solid butterflies are now available in your kits)
  • fishing line
  • a 12" hoop (wood hoop shown, metal hoop provided in your kit)
  • craft wire
  • 15+ yards of ribbon and tulle
  • small eye hook
  • 1 package of Mini Glue Dots ( Not included in kit - found at local craft stores)
Let the fun begin!!



Step 1: Take your hoop and make a criss-cross shape with your wire. Make sure it's secure and centered evenly. Mine doesn't appear to be centered, but believe me, it is!


Step 2:  Beginning with the center of the chandelier, tie one end of your fishing line to it. Do not clip the length yet, just leave it attached to your spool. Use one glue dot on the center of a butterfly, center it over your fishing line and press the other butterfly on top.  Notice that your kit includes two different types of cut out butterflies.  The solid butterfly attaches to the back with the detailed butterfly on top.  Continue down until you are satisfied with the length. Mine alternated from lengths of four and five butterflies. Once satisfied with the length, clip the fishing line.   I found it easiest to attach the butterflies while the hoop is hanging. I secured mine to dangle off the side of the table with a very official crafting tool, a Tonka crane toy. This Tonka toy is not necessary, you may use anything you want to secure it. :)


Step 3: Continue attaching butterflies using the above technique working your way from the inside out. The order used was the center of the cross wires, then each corner where the wire was attached to the hoop and finally one or two strands in between each corner. Fill in your chandelier as much or as little as you want.

Step 4: Tie tulle to the top of your hoop on each corner where the wire is. Be generous in your length so that you can make a full bow. Knot the tulle together and then make two large bows with the excess.

Step 5: Fill in the rest of the hoop by tying the ribbons into simple knots. This looks best with several different styles of ribbons and the knots going in different directions. I used a satin, tulle, sheer and grosgrain in soft creams and perfect creamy pink.



Step 6: Voila! The most adorable butterfly chandelier!   Hang and enjoy!*  Now go forth and create for those you procreated!

Any questions? 
Please feel free to email me at megitys@juno.com

*If hanging the chandelier over a crib, be sure to hang out of reach of baby. This chandelier is over an infants crib and although it may not appear to be, it is still high enough that the baby will not be able to reach when able to stand.
Safety first!

4 comments:

That Cute Little Cake said...

I Love it !
Thank you so much for this tutorial, what a gorgeous chandelier !
I have blogged and linked back to you from http://thatcutelittlecake.blogspot.co.uk
Thank you
Virginie @ That Cute Little Cake

Anonymous said...

Where in uk can I get the butterflies from please ?

Anonymous said...

Hi I am trying to find a mobile for my baby girls room like the you have above. Its so cute.
Do you sell the kit? I couldn't find it on your Esty site.
Thanks Anna

Unknown said...

Hi, Meg! I know you no longer sell the kits, but I was wondering what you used to cut the butterflies. I LOVE that style, and I have not been able to find it anywhere??? Thanks so much!

Related Posts with Thumbnails